Institute for Energy Transition
dedicated to Marine Renewable Energies
RSS News
Atelier thématique TROPHIK
14/06/2019

Thematic and scientific workshop in Caen on 14 June.

GEOSISMEM project
04/05/2019

Reducing the cost of seabed characterization

Campagne en mer APPEAL
30/04/2019

2nd year of monitoring at sea at the Groix et Belle-Île site to study their impact in an integrated manner

Panoramic view of Marseille
30/04/2019

Opening of an office in Marseille

Progress meeting continued
09/04/2019

Continuation of progress meetings

LISORE

Objective 2025: innovative and cost-effective offshore substations for ORE

Duration: 15 months

Context

Usually, offshore wind farms are connected to the land grid via offshore substations using regular topside design. This technology would connect 62% of France’s potential. The remaining 38% represent a technical challenge.
Floating wind farms are installed in deeper waters that are too costly for topside design substations. A floating solution could be more relevant, in parallel with the development of dynamic cables supporting higher voltage levels than existing solutions. The latter are necessary for connection to machines and to the network. For tidal farms, a floating station is not consistent with the lack of visual impact of the production units.
The subsea substation represents a plausible industrial alternative that has not yet been considered for high voltage connection.

Objective

To identify technological bottlenecks and potential solutions that will reduce the total cost of offshore substations for commercial floating wind and tidal stream projects by 2025.

Expected results

  • Design, feasibility studies and maintenance plan according to a reliability analysis of the substation.
  • Sensitivity analysis of the key design parameters of the total cost of ownership (CAPEX and OPEX) regarding an offshore substation and the envisaged solutions (floating, subsea).
  • Tool for modeling the overall cost of a substation, taking into account environmental parameters and associated impacts.
  • Roadmap addressing key components to be developed and qualified and associated tests to be defined to reduce the total cost of substations by 2025.

Scientific content

  • Technical feasibility study of floating or subsea substations adapted to ORE.
  • System reliability study and associated maintenance plan.
  • Economic evaluation of their total cost of ownership.
  • Identification of technological bottlenecks concerning components and processes required for innovative substations with a TRL of less than 5.

Partners

LISORE project partners

This project is supported by the French State, managed by the National Research Agency (ANR) as part of the Future Investments program.

Investissements d'Avenir Logo